Sunday, July 7, 2013

Do Broken Promises Deserve Second Chances?




I think the answer to this is YES... Not that everybody asking for deserves it, but what if?

Giving second chances to the person not only gives him the chance to possibly change, change or not, the better lesson of giving second chances is realizing that at almost "forty", I have learned to look beyond myself...learned to forgive..and learned to decide based not on my welfare but to consider what could be the consequences of such decision to the lives of my children...specially Gab who is too small to share his side of the situation affecting our family.

I remember my grandmother Eta telling me when I was small, every time I forget to do errands..everytime I get to commit mistakes..and every time I fail to get perfect score in quizzes...that it is okay.  " Just promise me you won't do it again or just study harder".

As I grew up being a teenager, promises became harder to keep.  Wanting to do things my way, to explore and try new things or simply just wanting not to conform to the "dos" and doing the "dont's". But Mama Eta as I call her, still said "everybody deserves second chances", just "don't do it again".

I do not know how many times I failed, I was scolded by my Mom or cried for mistakes I do all over..and over..and over again that I know I disappointed Lola Eta and maybe hurt her..but she stayed by my side and continued to love me, for who I am..and for What I have become.  She gave me countless "second chances".

Till the  time came Lola Eta left to get her place in heaven, now a wife and mother like she was, I realized why she tirelessly kept on forgiving..guiding..understanding. Despite hurting her and committing the  same mistakes and breaking my promises. I was loved.

The process of giving another chance, is difficult. Since it could make you feel depriving yourself the right to be mad at that person..or even, get even. I felt, Is it really what I want? To win against somebody hurting me?

I thought..didn't I love being given one?a further thought formed, could my pain be more that my love to deprive that person of another chance?

The answer is NO.  End of Story.

I feel happy, knowing that I have loved...


No comments: